Remote Learning for English Learners from the California Department of Education (April 2020)
Multilingual Resources (Updated 03-Apr-2020)
- Babbel offers students free online foreign language course for three months.
- Biblioteca Virtual Infantil offers e-books in Spanish.
- BrainPop en Español The curriculum is comprised of short, animated movies as well as games, quizzes and interactive features in Spanish. Users practice the four principle language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Chalk Academy offers links to free children’s books read in a variety of languages including Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Arabic, French, German and many other languages.
- Colorín Colorado offers resources for families that can be used for distance learning with English learners. They also appear to be growing their collecting of resources in response to the COVID-19 school closures, so more resources for distance learning may be available in the future.
- CommonLit is a collection of reading passages in all literary and nonfiction genres for grades 3–12. Reading passages are available in Spanish.
- Duolingo is a free language acquisition tool that is extremely similar to Rosetta Stone.
- Khan Academy En Español offers Khan Academy’s repository of video resources in Spanish.
- Nasa Ciencias en Español offers solar system exploration (visuals, videos, graphics, simple text) in Spanish.
- PBS Learning Media: Recursos de PreK–12 para Cierres de Emergencia offers resources by grade level, pre-kindergarten through grade 12, in Spanish. Resources cover a variety of subject areas in Spanish and would be appropriate for multilingual programs.
- Newsela en Español offers news in Spanish and includes different reading levels.
- Storybook Canada offers stories from the African Storybook available with text and audio in multiple languages.
- Tween Tribune Español is a collection of nonfiction articles and current events in Spanish for kids in grades K–12.
English in a Flash is also available for our beginning English Learners. Access may be found on your student portal.
Other tools available for EL students in MS Office 365:
Please watch the following You Tube videos to learn how to use the Immersive Reader to support students with dictation and read aloud.